Sunday, December 28, 2008

Fat Pockets

Here is what I wrote on my blog Walking Toward Wisdom at http://www.walkingtowardwisdom.blogspot.com.

I saved money today in three ways, though I'm still not sure how this will translate into extra savings each month. First, today I did a free museum visit for my entertainment. The original admission for the museum would have been about $8.00 or more. Second, rather order a full meal with at drink, I opted for an appetizer and water. If I'd ordered a soda ($3.00) and a full dinner -- with a difference of $4.00 between the appetizer and the meal -- I'd have spent an additional $7.00. In total, that's a whopping $15.00 I've saved today just by making smarter consumption choices.

I also wound up saving myself lots of empty calories. Of course, being thrifty can also add on the pounds. On the way home, I thought it would be better to buy a dozen doughnuts from the market for $4.00 instead of just one for about $0.90. It does make sense economically, but with another 11 doughnuts sitting around, it will be difficult not to overeat. I am tempted to just throw the remaining eight (I've 4already) into the trash, but that would be like wasting the same money I just saved earlier today. I think I will throw them away. I've just eaten another one.

No comments: